Thursday, November 7, 2013

Featured Artist: Alan Emerson Hicks

Featured Artist: Alan Emerson Hicks with "Ice"
website: http://www.3d12sculptors.org/alan-emerson-hicks/
 
Artist Statement
My artwork is influenced by our society and magic. My sculptures use
plastic discarded objects and American detritus to create objects that
comment on what our society finds important. I’m drawn to plastic materials
because of its weight and variety of color. Plastic bottle caps and rings
become colorful towers that reflect architecture, engineered structures and
religious relics. I use plastic clothes hangers to create figures and large
geometric shapes. Sometimes I use heat manipulation to alter the shapes
of the plastic objects. I want to impart in the viewer a sense of magic and
wonder about the world around them. The use of commonplace objects
creates that sense. I want the audience to view the plastic materials of their
everyday lives anew.

No comments:

Post a Comment