Monday, January 21, 2013

Featured Artist: Charlene Floriani


Woman with Tambourine

Marble 
14.25” x 16.25” x 1” 
NFS 
@Charlene Floreani

If my mosaic art only had three words to say, they would be action verbs: honor, dance and reach. My process of making a mosaic begins with the intention to honor a person, an experience, nature and/or an idea that I am having trouble grasping. How I plan the images, select materials/colors, and very the thickness/height of the tesserae – has to do with dancing. This composition, capture with smalti and marble, ideally draws attention to the movements of things that are crucial to survival but usually not in our consciousness. I often present figures, visual metaphors and slices of nature in movements and gestures that reach.

No comments:

Post a Comment