Monday, November 5, 2012

Featured Artist: Patricia Larkin Green



Artist Statement:
I create academically informed paintings that are fresh and immediate. I always return to nature, because I am fascinated with the way the vines, stems, leaves, roots and petals unfurl and stretch to the sun and nourishment. I search for how the microcosm relates to the macrocosm.

Sumi-e (East Asian ink wash painting) largely informs my work. Meditation and planning are essential. It is impossible to correct the line once on paper. My hand betrays my inner state, requiring a balance of self-control and spontaneity. Before I begin I distill my subject’s essence in my mind.  Every brush-touch must be full-charged with meaning, with useless detail eliminated. When I paint a flower I am freed from reproduction and inspired to convey its movement and fragrance.

My intent is to let each mark of my brush meet the canvas as an extension of my state of mind. I am working inward as I paint outward.


No comments:

Post a Comment